Thursday 8 September 2011

Music, Dancing and Conversations with a Wonderful Friend

I forget, sometimes, that there are people for whom music is not woven so tightly into the ins and outs of their every-day lives that living without it seems utterly impossible. For whom music is optional. Without it, they don't really feel like they're missing much.

It would be a rare day, indeed, in my life, that featured no music. It is such an integral part of my existence. I listen to it because I like the tunes themselves, but more than that, because it possesses the most wonderful ability to lift me up when I am down or feeling lost or introspective. I don't know if the non-listeners don't experience it, but I love it, the feeling, at that moment, when a song that I absolutely love plays and it feels like a little ray of sunshine is blossoming inside, amidst whatever storminess is going on. Sometimes that's all I need to come out from behind my cloudy day.

I love that moment of excitement when you find a new song or artist that resonates with you. I love sharing music that I enjoy with a friend and seeing the same joy and pleasure on their face. I love that all the best moments in my life have songs attached to them in my memory, and that all I need to do to relive that moment is to press 'play'.

The other wonderful aspect of music, which never ceases to amaze me, is its ability to make me want to dance. Put on a song that I enjoy and regardless of the setting, I will want to move. Music seems to infuse my entire body with a happiness and energy. One of my secret pleasures is playing music a little bit too loud and dancing around the kitchen whilst baking. Pleasure combo! If you play the right music, I will happily go out for an entire evening to a gig, completely sober, and lose myself in the music dancing.

The lovely Izy and I have recently had many discussions on the importance of enjoying the tiny moments in life, living in the 'now'. It may seem like fairly trite advice, but far too many people don't take the time to enjoy the small things around them. To stop and appreciate the beauty and wonder in the gifts they are presented with in their everyday life, regardless of what else is going on around them. I know that from time to time I don't. And the times that I don't, are the times that I feel most stressed out and unhappy.

Music is one of these under-appreciated things. Each song is a beautiful little gift-wrapped box of someone's talent, delivered to us via our ears, into our brains and our hearts, whenever we want or need it. I'm in awe of those wonderfully talented people, who have the gift of making that ray of sunshine unfurl within me, of making my feet move and my heart happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment